Saturday, April 18, 2009

Tell the truth







Dear George,

In a few hours, I wake up to board a plane back to New Orleans. Exhausted and unashamedly procrastinating packing my bags, I happened to turn on a special in which the Kennedy Center was honoring you for your work in comedy. Throughout the course of this special, watching big-screened clip after clip of your most memorable material, I learned two things:
1.) I am awed by you.
2.) You are no longer with us.

And so I wanted to say thank you.

Thank you for reminding me that truth is indeed greatest form of humor. Unapologetic honesty.
I have gotten so wrapped up in gimmick - wanting to be the next Andy Samburg - believing that funny has to be something never before seen, something dressed up and packaged and side splitting, that I had forgotten what first drew me to comedy.

I had forgotten the thrill of seeing Richard Pryor, Chris Rock, Robin Williams stand before sold out thousands and issuing from these crowds the same collective breathless call: "that is so true..."

Its not about spinning gold from straw. Its about holding up a mirror.

Thank you.

- CJ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home